Notes, database additions
• Stories are listed in italics.
• Page numbers for book entries correspond to Black Sparrow editions. HarperCollins/ECCO printings may differ.
• The work titles are capitalized, even though Bukowski often did not capitalize (or wrote titles in ALL CAPS). That was done for the sake of consistency in the search results.
• Extraneous punctuation has been removed from the titles. So the titles that end with --- or : have had those bits chopped off. If the punctuation is part of a title, such as; 1954: Coronado Street
, it was left in.
• You may see "Alternate titles/versions" listed in the search results. Those are usually just slightly different titles for the same poem, but sometimes they are significantly different versions, or two separate poems with the same title. You'll have to follow the links to figure out which it is. Look at it like exploring
without all the needless suffering and getting up off your ass.
• Some manuscript results are appended with the notation; "Manuscript differs from collected version." Those works have been altered - often quite significantly - somewhere between the manuscripts and the published versions of the poems. You may notice that most of these alterations were made after
Bukowski's death. Take some time to compare those versions, and draw your own conclusions as to whether the work has been improved or degraded by the editor.
Do you have titles or publications to add to the database?
You can use this form
to enter them.
This database draws from a large pool of sources, contributors and collectors, and is continually being updated and improved. Significant amounts of information were provided by the good folks below.
• Aaron Krumhansl
- A Descriptive Bibliography of the Primary Publications of Charles Bukowski
• Sanford Dorbin
- A Bibliography of Charles Bukowski
• Scott Harrison
• Brian Pratt
and David Calonne
- original magazine appearance scans
• Abel Debritto
- unpublished material and references
• Jason Davis
and (the other) John Martin
- Wormwood Review and various small press appearances
• The members of the bukowski.net forum
• University of Southern California Department of Special Collections
• Last but not least, ME
! Because I've put thousands of hours into this thing over the past decade. Thank you, me!
The database currently contains:
unique works, 379
alternate titles or versions)
works in 114
works in 744